Characteristics of fire-retardant paint
The construction sector has evolved a lot in recent years and more and more requirements are demanded when building a building. In addition to taking into account the sustainability and isolation of buildings, the focus has also been placed on safety. In this sense, one of the most important aspects is fire prevention. It is advisable to install preventive solutions such as fire alarms or extinguishers, but buildings must also have other passive protection measures. And one of these measures is fire retardant paint.
What is fire retardant paint ?
The fire-retardant paint helps that fire does not spread in case of fire in a building. Therefore, it is one of the most efficient measures to prevent fire spreading rapidly, as it contributes flame and smoke not to spread. Fire-retardant paint is essential especially when it comes to residential buildings, since containing fire allows people inside the building to have more time to leave it.
It is important to differentiate fire retardant paint from intumescent paint. The first one avoids the spread of the flame, while the second one reacts when there is an increase in temperature in the building by swelling and creating a thick layer of foam that insulates the elements that cover it, containing the fire and preventing it from damaging the structure of the building.
The main characteristics of fire-retardant paint are as follows:
- It reduces flammability and combustion of building materials it coats.
- Fire-retardant paint does not prevent fires from occurring, but delays the expansion of fires.
- There are different types and, depending on each type, it can be applied on metal, wood, lacquered surfaces, etc.
- It is suitable for both indoor and outdoor surfaces.
- It can be applied with spray gun, brush or roller.
Blatem Fire Protection
Pinturas Blatem has several products for construction that help prevent fires. Here are the main ones:
- Blatemlac Ignífugo Satinado: It is a satin polyurethane enamel that is characterized by its resistance to abrasion. It is homologated according to the standard UNE-EN 13501-1:07 and offers great hardness and whiteness. It can be used on metal, wood, cement and lacquered materials both exterior and interior.
- Barnilac Satinado: It is a polyurethane enamel/varnish of satin finish. It has an excellent hardness and abrasion resistance as well as an easy application. It is homologated according to the standard UNE-EN 13501-1:07 and it is used specifically for wood surfaces.
- Blatprimer Ignífuga Antioxidante: This flame-retardant and anticorrosive primer is homologated according to the standard UNE-EN 13501-1:07 and is intended exclusively to overcoat iron surfaces. It offers a very fast drying and can be used in interior and exterior structures.
- Acriblatem Suelos Satinado con Iones Plata (with silver ions): It is an aliphatic polyurethane enamel intended exclusively for floor painting. It is resistant to abrasion and has great hardness and an excellent adhesion. It dries very fast and brings a lot of brightness to the painted surfaces.
- Blatemdelfin: It is an acrylic plastic paint for interior and exterior with a high covering, adhesion and whiteness. It is homologated according to the standard UNE-EN 13501-1:07 and is formulated with a new anti-splash technology. It offers a good performance against fire and a simple application.
These are some of our solutions against fire but you can discover all our catalogue of fire-retardant and intumescent products in our website.